"who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began," ~II Timothy 1:9 NKJV



Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Confession

Reading God's word and praying at the start of my day is something I have neglected. I am asking good to help me make it a habit that will be with me for life.


My bible study this morning was such a sweet time! Our small group study in Psalms 23, "StressBusters", is good stuff! This week, we are studying and reflecting on the the ways the Lord restores our souls. As I read through the suggested verses, what a blessing this passage from Psalms 32 was to me!

1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Selah
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD "— and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah
Psalms 32: 1-5 NIV

Was there ever a time as a child when you disobeyed one of your parents rules? Can you remember the guilt, fearing they might find out? It was such a heavy burden - your little heart so heavy that your relationship with Mom and Dad was "broken"! Then, when you finally confessed to them and were forgiven, you didn't have to carry that burden any more. You were restored into a good relationship with your parents. It felt so good! Even if there was a punishment coming your way, you knew that you were loved and that it wouldn't be too much for you to bear.

This is the same opportunity we have with our heavenly Father! Just imagine it! The God who breathed life into us, is available to hear our confessions, forgive us and bring us back into a close, loving relationship with Him! When our "bones are wasted" and we feel the hand of God heavy upon us, we only have to confess in order to have the guilt of our sin lifted! And, whatever "wage" we have to pay for our sin, we have God's assurance that He is there to help us through it!

Just as a child who tearfully tells of their wrong-doing at a parent's knee, and is lovingly forgiven, we can approach the throne of our Savior, tell Him of our sin and have it covered by Christ's blood - forgiven, forever!

Heavenly Father, I praise you for your mercy to us! I thank you for sending Jesus to be my Savior, to die for me, to pay the price for my sin! Thank you for the gift of confession - for the joy of guilt lifted and for providing a way for me to come back into fellowship with you. Help me to walk in your way today. In Jesus name, Amen

Blessings for your day! Chris
©

5 comments:

Bee said...

When I was a little girl, my granddaddy sang a song all the time called "Have a Little Talk With Jesus." Part of the lyrics were "just a little talk with Jesus makes it right." Isn't that the truth. If we just have that little talk and tell him we've kind of messed up, He's there with a hug and forgiveness. How wonderful?!

Chris said...

Oh Bee! I remember that song...haven't thought of it in years. Thanks for the sweet reminder!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog. I will enjoy looking through yours now.

:)

Cheryl said...

What a great comparison! Thanks Chris for a wonderful post! Hope you had a blessed day~

Jamie said...

I am so thankful for the grace and mercy of our God...He never ceases to amaze me. Great post!