"who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began," ~II Timothy 1:9 NKJV



Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Voice of The Shepherd


Last night, as we were studying Psalm 23 in our StressBusters Bible Study, I was led to consider the roles of Shepherd & sheep more closely.

One of the ways I enjoy bible study is to follow the reference notations in my bible, which often helps me have a clearer understanding of what I have just read. Then, I sometimes go to the concordance & read all about a subject. In this case, our study guide sent me to read in John chapter 10. As I read verses 1 through 5, I gained a new insight into the protection that the shepherd provides his sheep.

1 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.John 10:1-5 NKJV


By reading & studying God's word, we do learn to recognize his voice. We are able to "hear" Him when he speaks to us, nudges us. But it also means that we can tell when the voice is not our Shepherd. When the false prophets call to us, we are able to recognize that the voice is NOT of our shepherd.

Then, this morning as I opened my Beth Moore "Praying God's Word Day By Day", what was her subject? (Hebrews 4:12-13) That if we stay in God's word and obey, we have assurance that we will be able to discern deception, and be able to turn away!

Is that a coincidence? Nope. Obviously, God is dealing with me on this subject. I have been neglectful of my quiet time in God's word. If I truly want to make Jesus the shepherd of my life, I need to recognize his voice.

Do you need to recommit to a daily time in God's word? When is your favorite quiet time? How do you like to study? I'd love to hear from you!

Father, I praise you as king of the universe! I am so thankful that you love me so much that you would shepherd me through this life and on to a home in heaven with you! I confess that I have been neglecting my time in your word. I ask forgiveness and your continued blessing on my study & reading as I commit to a regular time with my bible each day! Thank you for my salvation! In Jesus name, Amen

Blessings for your day, Chris

©

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love to spend time with HIM in the mornings. My day seems to be so smooth when I start it out with HIM. I do get busy and neglect my time with HIM though. I love your post today. Good Job Chris!

Bee said...

You know, I often say I wish God would call me up on the phone and just tell me what to do. I know I need to spend more quiet time with Him and His word and maybe I wouold hear him better. Thanks. That was an excellent lesson.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Chris!
Oh I love your new blog! This is wonderful!! The post is not too long, so people will take time to read through it. You make your point, show it in scripture, and pray with the reader. PERFECT! You are going to catch the person that will not sit and read a long post. A very important audience! I will put your new blog on my Fav Inspirational Blog list today!
I love the Shepard & the sheep story and verses. They are my favorite image of Jesus. Long ago a fellow church goer told of a vision God gave her. It was Jesus outside the flock looking for lost sheep. She said when He found a lost one they were not beautiful snow white sheep, they were covered with wounds and blood and crying with pain. She said God told her that is what we look like when we come to Jesus, then he heals us and restores our souls. I've always remembered that through all these years, the picture is etched in my memory.
Thank you for doing this new site!!
Hugs and more hugs, Sherry